Monday, May 24, 2010

John

Today I started reading a new Gospel, the one by John. It is very different from the one Mark wrote because it actually goes into depth into some details that weren’t explained in the first Gospel I read. Here we actually get to see the things that occurred form the characters point of view. Wjile in Mark we only got to see a very short passage onto every characters life.

First, Moses and the other prophets weren’t really mentioned in Mark. They only mentioned prophets in general but never really said the names of specific ones. For example in the first part Moses is mentioned along with his Ten Comandments: “We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph”. In Mark they never mention that Moses had written about the coming of Jesus. There are certain things like the Moses one, that aren’t fully explained or taken into depth in Mark.

“Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. 8 And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it. 9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, 10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. 11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.”

Mark had serious issues if he didn’t mention this. I mean it was practically one of the most famous miracles of all time. I knew about the water turning into wine but didn’t think about it until now. In Mark they only discuss the healing miracles and nothing else. This was pretty big and I question why Mark left it out of his section. It’s not like you are walking down the street and there are tones of people that can turn water into wine.

Circumcision is mentioned again! I can’t believe this holly tradition was neglected by Mark. Not to mention that it wasn’t any other than Jesus who brought it up. I thought circumcision was given on the day of birth of the child. Now after having read that “ye on the Sabbath day circumcise a man. 23 If a man on the Sabbath day receive circumcision”, I’m beginning to question of the tradition was lost. Maybe I got confused in the present because I know that boys are circumcised now, no matter their religion for hygiene purposes. The last part of this section is also pretty interesting: “are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the Sabbath day? 24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment”. My favorite part in the end because it doesn’t matter that you are likeable on the outside; you could be a total duchebag on the inside. And it is kind of interesting how to make his point he uses the whole “circumcised on the Sabbath day” part.

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. 13 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true. 14 Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. 15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. 16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. 17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. 18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.”

Instead of just wrting that Jesus said something, John writes what he said. I felt that in Mark we only got the beginning of what was going to be said but no real depth into the matter. We also get to explore Jesus’s actual teachings like the one above. I like how Jesus compares himself to light and how he is a guide to those that want to follow. Somehow he doesn’t sound as tough in John as in Mark, he seems calm when he responds to the Pharisees and not ready to spit into someone’s ear. He seems to have more to share with the people and actally stands up for himself in a passive way.

“And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, 7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.”

Good old Jesus remedies. Now not only do we get to know ears weren’t safe from his holly spit but also the dirt was part of the equation. Now that I think of it, his spit must have had something that made everything all magical. I also can’t believe that they thought someone was a sinner if their child suffered any kind of handicap. Good thing Jesus set them straight. He also mentions himself as the light again, I have a feeling that is going to be a reoccurring theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment