Thursday, May 6, 2010

Magic, Stalkers, and Another Stereotype Towards Women

What would you could call the men that accompany Confucius? Maybe stalkers, followers, or disciples? From the way they talk to him is like they only hang out with him for internal wants and needs. Sure they are striving for a better life, but can’t Confucius just give them some tips and write them a book called "Confucianism for Dummies" and be done with it? I mean we´ve all seen Forest Gump and in the scene when he keeps running across the U.S people look up to him but he couldn’t care less. Confucius kind of reminds me of Forest in this way, because he is just there doing something he likes and others think it’s over the top. He must feel like Forest Gump, that the people are there but if they leave he wouldn’t really mind. Though, I am pretty sure that if Confucius was running across China again and again he wouldn’t just stop like Forest did. He would keep striving to teach as many as he can the Way.

“Let his words be sincere and truthful and his actions honorable and careful;-such conduct may be practiced among the rude tribes of the South or the North. If his words be not sincere and truthful and his actions not honorable and careful will he, with such conduct, be appreciated, even in his neighborhood?"

This is my kind of man! I believe that the gentleman being described here is basically a model citizen. Now that I think about it this is the type of person laws are striving for us to become. Confucius lessons not only help guide those who follow this religion but also governments around the world. If laws can be based on the 10 Commandments, they can surely be based on a wise mans sayings.

I wonder if characters have been based on Confucius in fictional books. As I was reading I kind of saw that he reminds me of Dumbledore. His way of talking and guiding toward goodness is all things that the old Hogwarts headmaster would have liked. I mean they were both trying to keep people on a path towards goodness and away from darkness (Lord Voldemort). So could there be a relationship between Dumbledore and Confucius?

“Women and servants are particularly hard to manage: if you are too familiar with them, they grow insolent, but it you are too distant, they grow resentful”

Gee thanks Confucius. I don’t believe women become insolent when you are too familiar with them. They might not be as cuddly and warm as in the beginning of whatever you had with them but, they will always act gracefully and with poise. Trust me. My parents are zero percent romantic with each other but they still manage to have a bond that unites them. Sure they are apart sometimes but my mom isn’t resentful about it and neither is my dad. My dad depends on my mom too much and my mom is just to cool to be resentful. Why do all these religious books place women in a place where we look like idiots?

To finish I would like share a video of the gentlemen in “Buffy: The Vampire Slayer”. I hope these murderers are the complete opposite to what Confucius seeks in all of us. I am sure they are not and I think Confucius hung out with better looking people.




No comments:

Post a Comment