Thursday, May 27, 2010

The End of John



John was a interesting gospel to read because it felt like there was more to be said that wasn’t explored in Mark. The depth given in John is interesting to read about because it feels like he was right there when everything was happening. Instead of just an overview on the known facts, more is explored.

“Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. 37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Jesus doesn’t really seem sad to be leaving this “kingdom”. He really did think that his coming to Earth was just a mission. What surprised me the most about this part was the fact that he says that if this was a perfect world, he wouldn’t be delivered to the Jews. In a sense my perspective that Jesus came to Earth doing something he wanted has completely changed. Maybe I have been misinterpreting everything on the Bible for a long time but, now I understand Jesus truly was someone who wanted to have control over what he did. I always thought everything he did was his own wish and not anyone else’s.

Pilate was never really taken into depth in Mark. Before being chosen for crucifixion Jesus was taken to Pilate to judge him. I used to think Pilate wanted to execute Jesus and didn’t really care what happened to him. Now I am not so sure. Before anything Pilate actually defends Jesus,in a  mediocre way, but he still doesn’t seem content with the decision of the people. He follows what he is told but when “the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews. 22 Pilate answered, what I have written I have written”. Instead of writing it again he leaves it how it is. Why would he do this? I believe it is because deep inside he knows that Jesus is actually the Son of God. Another example of when Pilate “helped”was when he didn’t deny his brethren the body of their master. If he was truly as terrible as the rest who judged Jesus, I am sure he wouldn’t have done this. In a sense I feel he was portrayed better in this Gospel than in Mark.

Since we discussed Jesus final words the other day, here are his final words in John:“8 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost”.  I seriously believe it was the vinegar that did it. I mean being thirsty and being offered a delicious beverage of vinegar affects your system. I thought that final words were like Grammy acceptant speeches, but they are quite simple. At least these are.I don’t really understand the full meaning of his final words, if they have any, and would like to go more into depth about this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment