Thursday, April 22, 2010

Locked Up in My Room With Job

I had a debate about free will. In lots of websites I visited about free will most people spoke about how God had already arranged our destiny. Somehow in the talk all these men were having with Job they talked about how God guides people. Maybe he does maybe he doesn’t but I would find it weird for God to guide the destiny of man even though in the Bible there is proof he does. The story of Adam and Eve shoed he did want them to leave the garden of Eden that way he sould continue to expand their race. I don’t know how someone could hold my destiny in their hands when I myself am so unsure of my future. I am 3 years away from going to college and I still don’t know hwat I want to study and it annoys me. If someone out there does know what is to happen in my future it would be nice to be clued in.

Job mentions in some verses that God is kind to those who don’t deserve it. He talks about how those who have the best lives aren’t the best people. Even today I see proof of this seeing how many “narcotraficantes” like Pablo Escobar who caused so much pain lived a very good life. But I disagree with Job in relation that it has to do with God. Sure God is powerful but if what the Bible has said up to know is true, he only rewards those who are pure. Those who are living the life but didn’t get there in a good way are punished sooner or later. Hey maybe karma exists for God too.

“Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.
For now thou numberest my steps: dost thou not watch over my sin?
My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and thou sewest up mine iniquity.”

This quote talks again about how our destiny is sealed. When Job says “thou numberest my steps” he makes reference about how God knows everything about him. The reason I chose this quote is because it caught my attention how Job speaks about his destiny and his service to God like it doesn’t matter. He mentions how he will answers when God calls but it feels like he only answers because he has to and not because he wants to. I don’t really understand what the last part of the quote means but what I can gather is that Jobs advancement in life is finished and now only his sins are being looked at over his good.

In chapter 18 one of the men talks about a place that bad men go to. It sounds like a very sad place where someone would have to spend eternity for not upholding God above everything. The place is depressing and it really does sound like hell. Then they keep mentioning a robber which makes it seem more like hell because I believe robbers are going to hell so there they are. Here is a small portion about the hell description: “The steps of his strength shall be straitened, and his own counsel shall cast him down.For he is cast into a net by his own feet, and he walketh upon a snare.The gin shall take him by the heel, and the robber shall prevail against him.The snare is laid for him in the ground, and a trap for him in the way.Terrors shall make him afraid on every side, and shall drive him to his feet.” How can you not believe that is hell?

Job is convinced God is against him and doesn’t like him very much. I believe it is impossible for God to hate someone but then again there was that whole hell chat. Anyway this part of the debate between Job and his friends made me thing about turning your back on someone. Job truly believes that God is not in his team and is against him. This reminds me of a friend of mine who is convinced that everyone will turn on this person if she stops being friends with another. Ok how can people stop like in another person one day to another? Or base their likes on a person on the likes of another? It just doesn’t make sense and I am sure that this is what Job feels, what my friend feels. But I am sure that no matter what each person has their perspective on others. And anyway God can’t choose teams he is God after all, an impartial calm guy.

“God distributeth sorrows in his anger. They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away. God layeth up his iniquity for his children: he rewardeth him, and he shall know it.”

I must agree with this quote. God does cause pain only based on his sorrows and bad moods. For example the flood in Noah’s time, he was angry and it started to rain. I mean Job is right about that but it would be kind of impartial of God to punish everytime he is angry or having a hard day. What if God was a woman? Women have way more mood swings than men, would she punish us all if she was having a mood swing day? Maybe a mortal threw some trash into the ocean and Female God was having a one of those days and decides to punish us all? Wouldn’t that be bad? Still a Female God would be cool.

There are two powers in these verses the Almighty and God. Are they really two powers or not? We already said that there was God and Lord God now there is Almighty? The reason I think there are two powers is because of quotes like this: “Yea, surely God will not do wickedly, neither will the Almighty pervert judgment”. So are there more powers than Lord God and God?
“1 But now they that are younger than I have me in derision, whose fathers I would have disdained to have set with the dogs of my flock. Yea, whereto might the strength of their hands profit me, in whom old age was perished?”

This part of the text when Job talks about the respect he got when he was young was interesting. Then this quote came up about how the young tower over the old which got me thinking about being old. Job talks about old age like it is a curse that is bad. I believe that old age and death are part of every body’s destiny. I got a feeling that Job was feeling useless just because he was old which is kind of sad. The part when he says “whereto might the strength of their hands profit me, in whom old age was perished?” showed that he does feel bad because he is old. Its weird to bring this up but my mom says that when people get old they get annoying. I wouldn’t know since I don’t really hang out with old people but even people my age can be annoying. I hope my parents don’t get annoying but my mom insist I intern her into an old people asylum when she gets old that way she won’t annoy me which I guess is nice of her. Too bad these places didn’t exist in Jobs time; he would have felt good in one of those.

To finish I would just like to say old men bicker with each other too much and that this is probably my standing record in Bible reading ever. Oh and just so you know I officially don’t have a life thanks to the Bible.



No comments:

Post a Comment