Sunday, April 25, 2010

God Shows Up

It was meant to happen sooner or later. If I was Job I would have been a bit embarrassed that God listened to me go on and on about how terrible and unfair he is. The verses begin with God finally intervening in the conversation of the men. If I was Job I would have been frightened that God would have killed me right then and there. First Job failed the challenge of standing up for God and then as he lies in his “death bed” all he can do is bicker about how God is so unfair. This is the first time I hear of a story in which instead of pointing out all the goods in God, the main character is completely pointing out the bad. It was like they were trying to do an anti thesis to prove the good points of the argument. In the end God looks like this great guy that did great things and Job cowards in his presence and just takes things as they were.

It was interesting to read about how God confronts Job and shows him that if it wasn’t for him nothing would exist. God acknowledges that Job was speaking badly about him and fights back by showing him how much power he has over him. As I read about the creation of things and how God had to think out every little detail, my favorite part was: “Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding”. The reason this part got my attention was because in the past verses Job sounded as if he knew everything he was arguing about but when God says this he shows that Job really hasn’t seen that much since he didn’t even see the creation of the Earth. Still as God spoke about everything he did, I interpreted it as if he was showing off a little too much. It sounded like he was one of those rich guys on MTV Cribs showing his house:” So this is my cool ocean I created, that took me a while but there it is. Oh and check out my mountains yeah I know they are great”. But hey maybe that’s just me who heres God giving us a tour of his “crib”.

If someone insulted me I wouldn’t fight them back by rewarding them. Sure God and Job made up but still prizes? After a fight a hug and a kiss is ok but Job comes out victorious with “fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses”. It’s like he won a game show! The guy had been insulting God for more verses than the verses of being nice to him and he still becomes a millionaire. I guess this is where you really see that God is merciful and forgiving but only if you submit to him. Maybe I should pick a fight with God and then make up with him that way in the end; I can be a very happy owner of a bunch of farm animals.

The part when God is telling Job everything he does and how it is not easy to be him, reminded me of this movie called “Bruce Almighty”. In the movie, Bruce is a guy that insults God and blames him for everything. Then Bruce actually gets to be God for a while and sees that it really isn’t as easy as it looks. While I was reading this I was thinking that maybe God will put him in his shoes for a while to see how hard it is. I was kind of disappointed when he didn’t.
All through the chat of Job and God I could have sworn he was going to die. These last verses really showed me that God is forgiving and does stand up for himself. God truly entrust a lot to his people and has faith that his people will become better. Maybe that’s why God “blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.He had also seven sons and three daughters.And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Keren-happuch. And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren.
After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons’ sons, even four generations.So Job died, being old and full of days”. Good things happen to those that believe in God so what happens to those who dont?
To finish here is the trailer of Bruce Almighty.





No comments:

Post a Comment