Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Teen Angst Through Phaeton

Before I read the script, I had an idea what the story was about but after reading it, things were so much clearer. I enjoyed that Marry Zimmerman gave the story that twist that Phaeton is like a teenager breaking free from his parents. Who doesn’t seek those moments of freedom when we can define those that have been the road block in what we want to do? Phaeton also has qualities that are much like any other teenagers. The way he responds to what his mother says to him, his sarcasm, and the way he has to deal with other peers is a very typical thing in a teenager’s life.

Phaeton has been neglected by his father Apollo. Apollo is a busy god that has to ride the chariot that makes it night and day in the world. I found it funny how Phaeton wants to ride such said chariot and take advantage of the situation. I know that if I was asked for anything I wanted and the person held a strong oath I would definitely do something like what Phaeton did. When he asks for the keys of his car and Apollo starts backpedaling, I found it to be such a typical situation in real life. It’s also kind of sad how Apollo was never a part of Phaetons life and how now that his son is there, he is going to make up for all the lost time by letting him ride his car. You can’t buy love through material means.

“So I set out and it’s hot and it’s dusty and it’s a long way- across Ethiopia. And I hitch part of the time and part of the time I walk and finally, finally, I get there. And the hill is steep.” (pg 64)

I can totally see myself reflected in this quote because trust me like any other person my age out there I complain. I can even picture the face Phaeton would have done talking about this journey in frustration because I have used the exact same face in boring family outings and annoying moments. I really enjoyed that the therapist is talking about what Phaeton says in a psychological way calling this his “spiritual passage from one sphere to the next.” Then when he is done describing his real journey she makes it sound like a metaphor when she says the passage is never easy. The mix between the story Phaeton is talking about and the therapist deep analysis of what he truly means is quite entertaining.

All in all I really enjoyed finally grasping this story. I seriously never understood this part even when I worked on the play here in school. Like I said before I got the story but not the idea of the teenage drama being analyzed by the therapist.

If you want to understand teenage reactions, check out this trailer:

1 comment:

  1. Iambic Pentameter:
    Phaeton took the chariot for a ride.
    Disobeyed and set the world on fire.

    ReplyDelete